As corporate compliance has become a major issue, Basham is prepared to assist companies (both local and multinational) in structuring and implementing anti-corruption and compliance strategies in accordance with the constantly evolving rules of international compliance and anti-corruption. Basham's anti-corruption team is a multidisciplinary group of lawyers with extensive experience in assessing, designing, improving, auditing and defending global and regional anti-corruption programs in accordance with international laws and regulations, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the U.K. Bribery Act and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
Our team has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Development and financing of electric power projects
- prior, concerted and sufficient investigation in mergers and acquisitions transactions, in order to detect possible acts of corruption
- Internal investigations and environmental remediation measures Advice on Mexican anti-corruption legislation at federal and local level
- Risk assessments
- Compliance program evaluations
- Program training
- Implementation of programs and procedures in the event of surprise visits
- Tailor-made training for management and non-management staff, focused on specific industries and sectors
- Design of internal policies and codes of conduct (money laundering, anti-corruption, antitrust, data privacy, contributions & donations, security of information held by employees, document retention, financial aspects).
- Preventive advice and best practices for compliance with the FCPA, UK Bribery Act and other domestic and international laws
- Drafting of clauses on third party and anti-corruption evaluations Preventive and corrective measures in relation to illicit conduct of the companies or patrimonial crimes, whether probable or suspected.
- Defense in case of government investigations
- Forensic investigations
Basham has advised on anti-corruption matters to a number of global companies in the industrial sector, including:
- Wholesale and retail sales companies
- Consumer products companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Advertising agencies
- Transportation companies
- Paint and coatings manufacturers
- Manufacturers of health care products and industries
- Logistics companies
- Customs brokers
Basham's anti-corruption compliance team works very closely with colleagues from other strategic areas; this aims to address all client's legal matters to handle them on a seamless basis from inception to conclusion, providing our clients with more efficient and cost-effective services.
- Audit and investigation of corporate matters for a U.S.-based multinational corporation to provide information to the Department of Justice (DOJ) (Sector: wholesale and retail sales).
- Prior, concerted and sufficient research on the regulatory compliance of companies subject to international procurement to determine their level of implementation, the existence of preventive and corrective mechanisms and the detection of potential risks (food sector).
- Investigations and fact gathering in connection with alleged corrupt practices by a Mexican subsidiary of a leading international company (sector: transportation, manufacturing and distribution of children's products).
- Advice and guidance to leading international companies regarding the implementation of measures after detecting acts of corruption internally (pharmaceutical sector).
- Design and presentation of training seminars to local management and key personnel of international clients on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, FCPA and UK Bribery Act compliance (sectors: transportation, retail and food).
- Advised a leading company headquartered in the United Kingdom regarding the implementation of voluntary disclosure and filing requirements in Mexico in connection with corrupt practices by the management of its Mexican subsidiary, as part of a global investigation by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) (sector: advertising).
- Some members of our practice team constantly participate as speakers at various anti-corruption and compliance seminars and conferences (International Bar Association, Ethisphere, Create.org, American Conference Institute, international and national chambers of commerce and other forums).