Mexico City, January 10th, 2023
As of January 1st, 2023, the 12th edition (2023 version) of the Classification of Goods and Services for the registration of trademarks under the Nice Agreement NCL(12-2023) became effective, therefore, all new trademark applications filed during 2023 before the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property must comply with the Classification in force.
Although the Nomenclator is revised every year, and a new version is published every January 1st, usually only changes considered “non-substantial” are included. The new edition of the Nomenclator includes relevant modifications, such as criteria variations or transfer of goods/services to other classes.
The 12th edition of the Nice Classification includes:
- Amendments to the Class Headings of classes 3, 5, 9, 10, 36 and 45.
- Amendments to the Explanatory Notes of classes 6, 8, 10, 11, 20, 21, 22, 25, 38, 42 and 45.
- Addition of new goods and services in the Alphabetical List.
- Transfers of class of several goods.
- Inclusion of several novel goods/services, such as “humanoid robots”, “digital files authenticated by non-fungible tokens [NFT]”, among others.
The Spanish version was published in the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property Gazette on December 16, 2022 so that all users of the Mexican trademark system can adopt this new 12th edition of the Nomenclator as of its entry into force.
Basham´s Intellectual Property team will be pleased to answer any questions or doubts in connection with this matter.